14 June 2008

Poems, Alliteration and Onomatopoeia

B's Learning Log task for this week involves handwriting a poem he likes, illustrating it and writing down why he likes it.

Over dinner this evening, O and I asked him about what poem he plans to use for his Learning Log entry, and what he had learnt about poems in school this week.

"Oh, there are so many poems we've read in school," he chattered as he munched his food, and then he launched into a litany of titles of children's poems which all sounded nice, but were mostly unfamiliar to my Pinoy-educated ears.

"We also learned about alliteration," he added, as O and I exchanged raised eyebrows from across the table. ("Litrachun!" chimed E happily after his brother.) B then proceeded to educate us all with a simple yet comprehensive description of what alliteration is, that it involves using words that start with the same sound, one after the other, which is vastly different from rhyming. He gave a few examples for our amusement. As B paused in his explanation to take another bite, O stage-whispered that he had probably learnt about these things in high school already, and I nodded in agreement as I rolled my eyes.

"Also," B said, chewing again, "we learnt about onomatopoeia."

Complete silence around the table as we stared at B. Well, except for E who was, as usual, parroting whatever it was his Kuya has just said, but O and I were shocked into silence. Still eating, unmindful of the shocked looks of disbelief on his parents' faces, B continued, "Onomatopoeia is when you use words that sound like the sound they're describing, like tickle, or crash, or wibble-wobble, or crickle-crackle..." and then he and E started to have lots of fun making sounds and noises to illustrate exactly what onomatopoeia is, blissfully ignorant of the fact that he knows at age almost-eight what many others first learn at eighteen. Some of us (including yours truly) only learnt learn how to correctly SPELL the darn word way past adolescence.

"Knock-knock! Snap! Achoo!" Our two boys merrily onomatopoeia-ed away over the dinner table, each heartily croaking out an appreciative belly laugh at the other's contribution before chiming in with his own.

O just shook his head as he smiled, bemused at how advanced the UK's National Curriculum for primary schools is.

And as for me? Thud! went my jaw as it dropped onto the floor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nette, honestly your blog literally hooked me up. I just cant stop reading everything in it, its very inspiring, entertaining and yes educational. BTW, my name is Lowell Lomod, A ChE graduate of batch 1992 at UST. By accident I stumbled upon onto your blog and its a blessing. I came to know too that your dad passed away. I am sorry to know this, though its late now. I remembered Atty. visiting your mom at UST, Mrs. Hilario was english teacher when I was in my 2nd year at the faculty. How is she? is she still teaching? she's a very fantastic person, Ijust really loved her style of motivating her students. Nette, Im based in KSA now but prior to that I was in Dubai for about 7 years. I am no longer practicing Chemical Engineering for the 3 years now after I got involved in FLP here in the Middle East, yes I am involved fulltime now in Networking Business. Anyway, it was a long story. But, really I am so happy to find this blog and will continue to visit this regularly. Parang telenovela yong iba hahahah. Good Luck Nette and go go go go go! Congrats nga pala sa scholarship mo WOW angat ka pa rin maski nanay na! my email is lowell4diamond@yahoo.com...anything you need from the dessert let me konw ok? oh by the way, i forgot to mention how i discovered your blog. Recently yung pamangkin ko who is now in 2nd year college s Pinas told me that she has facebook account and friendster. So yesterday, I started browsing the net looking for Therese then presto! you know what? when my younger sister was delivering a baby in Cainta, that was in 1991, she asked me kuya whats the best name for the baby? I was beside my sister at that time. You know what? immediately I told her make it Jeanne Therese Lomod, but then, I changed it coz it was too much of copying your name ( you were so popular in our faculty then ) Then I decided to make it Ruth Therese Lomod! Thanks Nette and more power to O, B and E and your mom as well and bro who I believe is now in NZ? Take care!