13 March 2007

Nanay at Work

"When will you go to work, Nanay?" asked B as I cut his fingernails before school this morning. "When will you have some work to do?"

Too early, Lord, I said to myself as I tried to come up with an appropriate reply. Too early in the morning and too early in his life to start asking me these questions!

I found I had nothing to say, so I remained silent. Luckily, Tatay O was there to catch the ball in the air.

"Nanay already has work, B. She works very hard in the house."

"On the computer?" B persisted.

"Not just that. She takes care of all of us. She teaches your brother, she cooks us delicious food, she washes your clothes, cleans up your mess, helps you with homework, takes care of our money, collects you from school... Nanay is very good at her work. We should thank her for what she does for us."

That seemed to do the trick. B seemed to digest that for a few minutes before launching into another of his early-morning topics.

Relieved, I smiled at O gratefully for saving me from having to come up with a convincing reply to B's question.

Because it's one that has been weighing on my mind for a while now, that question. In fact, it sort of stung a bit to hear it said out loud, but since it came from B, I knew his motives were pure.

And the answer to that question is--- well, B, I wish I knew.

I wish I knew.

1 comment:

Binut/Keyt said...

I wish you all the best in your job search!